Sunday, June 27, 2010

Girl Anachronism

It's not uncommon for me to find myself in age-inappropriate places...I'm either doing something only old men enjoy or something only 4 year old girls enjoy. I can count on one hand the times I've been in the correct demographic in the past year....One probably being seeing The Hangover in a movie theater. 

This weekend was sort of one of those situations.

First, husband and I went to the drive-in movies. This is like a double whammy anachronism because first of all drive-in movie theaters' popularity peaked in the 1950's. Presently, the usual patrons of drive-ins are carloads of Mommys, Daddys and a bunch of children. 

On this particular occasion, we drove in husband's lime synergy green Camaro and were literally the kings of white trash Christmas. Children ran around screaming their heads off about how "sick" and "hawwwesome" the car was and we did our best not to rush them down when we were looking for a spot. Also, we got there 45 minutes early and we were probably the last ones there. All the families had been there for like 2 hours playing catch and eating icecream and getting a way better spot than us.

The reason I like drive-in movies is because I can be extra talkative during the movie (husband would consider this a down-side), there is a double feature, and I can bring my own iced coffee in a little cooler to keep me awake during the double feature (see, I'm an old person).


For our own amusement, we played hilarious kid-songs in our car with the windows down before the show started to see if we could make all of the youth get up and dance in a sitcom-like fantasy sequence 


Yo Gabba Gabba!!! bahhhhh. It didn't work.


The other part of my weekend was spent going to the town fair. Both the thrill and the safety of this fair has declined over the years but I couldn't bear to miss it. I took one friend with me and while we had originally planned on going at 8pm--when all the cool kids go and when there are fireworks--we instead decided to go at 3pm. We were literally one of a total six parties there. Parties, meaning father-daughter pairs, or families.

We rode the most thrilling rides possible without spending millions of dollars: the Ferris wheel, the caterpillar roller coaster, the cliff glider and the haunted house. Throughout, I was pretty much out of my mind and she was pretty much scared and sad




Sigh.

Okay, but finally, let me explain this Cliff Hanger situation


You literally lie on your stomach on this thing and Mr. Carnie clamps you down a little bit and it swoops up and down and goes around a million times and you feel dizzy, drunk, and like you're flying. It was my favorite and also I've never seen anything like it before. Great job, town fair, you get an A+.

No comments:

Post a Comment