Thursday, August 5, 2010

Free lentils

  
 Over the past two years or so, I've become really good at winning free stuff and getting free samples. I used to claim--as one does--that I never win anything; I'm not lucky. However, it turns out it isn't about luck. It's about putting in some extra effort now and again to increase the probability of winning.

Bukhara Indian Restaurant, Jamaica Plain, 2007: Free lunch for ten people
I dropped my friend's business card in the bowl. She lived in NYC at the time. She had to come to Boston to go to lunch with me.

American Psychological Assocation Convention, 2008: Two red sox tickets.
Was sure to register properly so that I was automatically registered in the raffle.

FNX Radio, June 10 2009: Two spots on the guest list of Ida Maria concert
Called FNX at the right time.

Wedding Wire.com, Sept. 2009: Free subscription to "Whole Living"/"Body + Soul" Magazine
Did 5 reviews of wedding vendors from my wedding the previous month for a free subscription.

Stonyfieldrewards.com, Jan 2010-Present: Free bag of granola and free box of cereal.
Entered codes on the website anytime I ate a stonyfield yogurt.

EarthFest Boston, May 22, 2010: Literally 6 boxes of granola, 15 granola bars, an icecream sandwich and coconut milk
Walking around and browsing at vendor stations. Oh and cutting in line. Duh.

USA DRY PEA AND LENTIL COUNCIL (hilarious), August 5th, 2010:
Voted for my favorite lentil recipe (i.e. chose randomly), automatically entered for a free sample.






That's right, I recieved mail from the USA Dry Pea & Lentil Council. I must be a pretty big deal.







Bada bing bada boom, dinner for two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment