Monday, August 9, 2010

For the birds

 
I took my Dad on an outing around Boston which selfishly involved all the things I enjoy doing but luckily he likes all the things that I like, so it was actually really selfless and kind. 

To begin, we took some nature walks around Arnold Arboretum, beginning with my favorite route

 
You get some good cardio in by bounding up the hill, followed by a great view and usually a dog + owner haven at the top


 

Prudential tower, 111 Huntington Ave., Hancock tower, Massachusetts State House, One Boston Place, Financial District, One Financial Center, Federal Reserve Bank building, Massachusetts State Laboratory




A second activity on our outing was the Franklin Park Zoo. I have been to this zoo about three other times. I have been to other zoos about a bazillion times. Therefore, I am well versed in hilarious, disgusting, cute, and interesting animals. I used to think birds were boring, as many people do. However, over time, I have become more interested in birds at zoos because they are  hilarious, disgusting and interesting and even sometimes cute all at the same time. Also, they're practically the same as dinosaurs.

That being said, I found that many of my pictures ended up being of birds who were the above listed attributes and I gawked at them and said things that were probably insulting but I meant as endearing



Ostriches are, by far, the most hilarious bird there is. Anytime I see an ostrich (which is notably frequently), I can't stop staring at its head. The shape of it's head and so sweet with its little doodly eyes popping out...And then you realize that it has this enormous body with essentially old-lady, cankled legs. Oh, ostriches, you're so funny.




We missed the sign on this one but my father explained that it,"is probably just another type of ostriche".




The always-noble owl. One, two, three. Three. Three licks to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie pop.




This is Mr. Tie-Dye duck (Anatidae tye-dyum).


 
Little bittle fluffy wuffy puffy head!






May I introduce you to my kitten? Are you kidding me? Is there anything cuter than this? It was literally sleeping in the corner of its cage, facing the public. And by public I mean my camera flashing in its face.



 
 
 


So this fierce mofo lives to be 100 in the wild, and only 85 in captivity. My Dad and I guessed it is because he gets totally bored and resentful. Just like retirement.
 
 
 
Easter eggs.
 
 
And now, introducing the cherry on top--who only appeared on our way out of the park....
  




Definitely my favorite ever, the peacock. Or, as my husband affectionately refers to them: pheasants.



Gorilla Hiny

1 comment: