Friday, July 16, 2010

Flying fish and bindle sticks. Or, things that don't exist.

There is a hike off of the Kancamagus highway in New Hampshire that I've now hiked a total of three times in my life. The third time being last week. The hike is an easy grade 4ish miles round trip that takes you to The Greeley ponds.

The first time I hiked this, I was young and was just with my dad....So, circa 1998. We both remember the ponds as serene, clear and loaded with flying fish that were going crazy pants and constantly jumping all over the place and making splashes.

The second time I hiked this trail, I was a little older and this time we included the mom and the brother. We literally never made it to the ponds and ended up bushwacking back down to the highway because we got lost in the woods. None of us can understand how this happened, particurlarly after the hike last week which confirmed that there is no way that we could have lost the trail.

So, finally, last week, I went back with the husband with the hopes of proving to him that the Greeley ponds are the most beautiful thing ever and have silly amounts of flying fish.

I took pictures along the way just in case we never made it to the pond, so that I'd at least have documentation of seeing something.




Look, its water, could this be it?






Maybe!? WHO KNOWS, IT MIGHT NOT EVEN EXIST.

Yea, totally, this could be it. I think we made it.












So, there you have it. A) It exists B) Still serene C) The Greeley Pond flying fish are a shared delusion between my father and I.



In other news, husband and I went on the hobo railroad and paid extra to get a hobo lunch that was promised to be served ON A BINDLE STICK. ON A BINDLE STICK.





But this is how lunch actually ended up coming






HOW CAN I BE EXPECTED TO EAT A TURKEY SANDWICH WITHOUT A BINDLE STICK????? I WAS TOLD THERE'D BE A GODDAMN BIN...






Oh, fine. 

Important to note: We were each given two options: a bindle stick or a little reusable-bag-style backpack. Adam thought it'd be a good idea to get a backpack--which in my opinion, is actually a bad idea.





1 comment: