Friday, September 3, 2010

Poaching turtles


Every time I go in search of a new walking trail (on the internets), I find some incredible gem. It is very reinforcing. This time it was Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary, located about 10 minutes from my apartment. I am surrounded by beauty!! I WANT TO LIVE HERE FOREVER.





Broadmoor is conservation land that is maintained by the Mass Audubon Society and contains 9 miles of walking trails that go through several different habitats including wetlands, woodlands, and fields. In addition, they have a nature center at the entrance and restrooms. What a treat!


I couldn't pass up use the restroom, particularly once I found out it was a recycling toilet system. Feel free to look at their recycling poster, but in sum: it was a glorified non-smelly outhouse that turns doodies into compost. Neat!
  





The sanctuary begins with an awesome/very long board walk that goes through the wetland area. We spent about 30 minutes on this board walk hunting wabbits turtles.





There were so many visible creatures that I'm going to have to just post them one after another. I'm pretty sure I saw more wildlife in the first five minutes of this trail than I have on all of my other nature walks combined.



Turtle
Turtle
Turtle
Goose! (Frog)
Frog

Furthermore, the water and the slime over the water was a color that only exists in my dreams. Now that I think about it, this color also exists on my husband's car



The woodlands had less frogs, but had it's fair share of trees and trees eaten by beavers


This is the most magical thing I've ever seen


I thought this tree was so cool to the point that both Adam and I were skeptical that this wasn't just a man-made exhibit. I decided that the conservationists wouldn't be the types to a) attempt to trick fellow nature lovers b) destroy a tree for educational purposes.




Furthermore, no fires, hunting, trapping, fishing, picking or collecting was allowed. LUCKILY, they didn't mention poaching or scalping, so Adam and I opted for those activities.


No comments:

Post a Comment