Wednesday, June 1, 2011

23:35

This is a story of bravery, triumph, and hubris.

I decided to sign up for a 5K (3.11 miles) because I run that distance most days a week anyway, I want to increase my hobbies, I wanted a T-shirt, and I wanted to see if I could improve my time. I run the 5K at my school each Fall, so I have data to show my time improving over time. My times for the years that I ran that are as follows:

2007:  30:26
2008:  26:55
2009:  24:51

This year, I felt that a solid time would be 24 minutes flat. The week before the race I tried some pacing on the treadmill (it rained all week). It was hard. I don't really like challenging myself.

On race day, I was a little nervous and my bowels were working overtime. I should mention I have a nervous stomach and when I ran track in high school (due to being coerced by my friend into doing so), I would vomit before and after every single race.My nervousness on 5K day was nothing even remotely close to that, so I'm not complaining. I should also mention that this was based out of a Gold's Gym and was literally called "Just a 5K", and was followed by a fun run for the kids. So, I'm ridiculous.

I also don't get nervous for competition, it's more about getting nervous about needing to 'push myself'.

My darling husband came for support and fun times.


Before the race, I looked at the map..., gave up looking at the map because I knew I could just follow people, and tried to stay warm while all the latecomers registered.


 

I made a  play list for the race which only had 9 songs, aka 36.2 minutes of music because damned if I was going to be running more than 25. My play list contained

Boys, Boys, Boys by Lady Gaga
Letting Go (Dutty Love) Ft. Nicki Minag by (Mr.) Sean Kingston
Like a G6 by Far East Movement
Teeth by Lady Gaga
Harder, Better, Faster Stronger by Daft Punk (I had meant to add the Kanye West version and became very dissapointed at mile 3 when I discovered my mistake)
We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel
I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas
Gasolina by .... I don't know
Later by Dr. Dog



My ipod was accidentally on shuffle...Another mistake I was dissapointed by when I discovered it around point two miles. So, I don't actually remember which songs I heard during my run because I maintain that I was completely blacked out during it.

I sure am building up this story, aren't I?

So whatever, I run, I do stuff, I black out during it, I push myself somewhat, passed some peeps, got passed by some peeps.....Didn't really feel like I was making my time, was cool with that because I hadn't passed out and died yet....

As I approach the finish line, I see the time clock and it says 23:25, I was going to make my time, Mo...Fo!!!! I saunter in at about 23:3-something. 





Then I pass out for a little while because my lungs and heart are bleeding and probably also my brain


After recovering, I wanted to get my official time. I told my husband that we could skip out on the fun run and face painting as soon as the times were posted. 


As you may or may not be able to see, there is no Jessica in or around 23 minutes. I get sad and mad and scared. I talk to the lady that's managing the race. She goes and talks to the timers for ten minutes. I complain to my husband that they're all dumdum heads and I shouldn't run dumdum head 5k's anymore.

She comes back and she says, "It's OK we found your time. There had been an X next to your name because they weren't sure what your number was. Oh and you came in first for your age group."

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I tell my husband. And then we both decide that she's totally mistaken. I go back to her and say, "Sorry, can you just double check the time because I'm a little surprised that I would be first for my age group". She looks at me weird and says, "Yeah, Jessica, from Natick, 23:35". And I'm all like, 


 
K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So then, of course, we don't take off. We stay around for the fun run, the face painting, the oranges....In order to attend the AWARD CEREMONY.

A TRIFECTA VICTORY WAS MINE: Personal best, "free" TSHIRT (with registration fee) AND A MO'FOING MEDAL!!!!


I was out of my mind, as usual.

My age range, by the way, is 20-29. Indeed, all the people ahead of me were either 40 years old or 14 years old, so I won fair and square. I also beat all the men in my age group, but they award men and women separately. Just saying.







No comments:

Post a Comment