Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween: A love story

 
Sometimes Halloween feels like a struggle because it is FAVORITE HOLIDAY EVER and most people, including my husband, feel that Halloween is Just Okay. When my level of excitement isn't matched, I feel angry and destructive. However, my husband has always been an incredibly good sport, willing to collaborate and compromise on costume choices. Through the writing of this blog entry, it has become very clear to me how much time and thought he actually has put in to perfecting our costumes over the years. I usually request that we do something coupley, but not like, Sexy Bunny and Hugh Hef/Sexy Policeman and Sexy Puppy coupley. The  criterion that the couple's costumes have to meet are: awesomeness, off-beatness, affordability and creativity.

And now, the costumes of Halloween past

2007

 


Beatrix Kiddo and a Crazy Eight from Kill Bill


2008


Marge and Homer from The Simpsons




2009
 
2009 went terribly wrong? Slightly awry? I skipped out on the frustration of trying to make think of a good couples costume and decided to be THE Bird of Paradise from the BBC series Planet Earth.


Adam went to the season Halloween store and bought all the dusty 80 cent masks from the 1970's and dubbed himself, "Jessie's Nightmares"





 

...though we are the most endearing failures I've ever seen.


2010

This year we had a few other costume ideas in the running before we settled on our final choice. 
One idea was Leela and Fry from Futurama



First of all, I don't love Futurama, but being a purple-haired cyclops was appealing to me. Being Fry, however would have been a little bit boring for Adam because he already looks like Fry. Of course, he could've been Dr. Zoidberg instead of Fry


But, Zoidberg looks suspiciously similar to Jessie's Nightmares...


The next choice which was almost a winner was Arthur Dent and Zaphod Beeblebrox from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, book or movie version

Adam elected me to be the one to dress up as Zaphod Beeblebrox which requires being a rockstart-esq man with two heads and three arms. In contrast, he would be Arthur Dent, a man with a bathrobe and a book.





I had agreed because it met most of the criteria but still I was ambivalent. Ambivalent because I had to be a hideous man and wasn't going to look fun and sassy.Only moments after my official veto, Adam emailed me with his greatest suggestion in Halloween history:

I thought of another costume and I think it's pretty good. It hits all the major criteria. You get to be a pretty lady and it is a couply thing. You could be a damsel in distress tied to railroad tracks and I could be the evil villian. I see it as a cartoony type costume. It wouldn't be too hard. We can make some railroad tracks out of cardboard and foam or something and get some rope. I could wear the mustache we saw yesterday and have the gun that says "bang" as well and dress all in black. I was also thinking we could find a way to attach a speech bubble on your shoulder saying "HELP!" to play on the cartoony aspect. Thoughts? I think this is a good one by the way. 

Literally he thought of the entire thing and added some incredible features such as the cartoon-inspired speech bubble and bang gun. What a guy!

For my costume we went to the hardware store and bought house siding, plank wood and nails to make the railroad tracks that were to be tied to my back



  

''


Adam just needed a cape, a top hat, a moustache, a BANG gun and his suit. Affordable and easy to find at the Halloween store.







We totally knocked this one out of the park.

Downsides: don't even think about sitting down or going to the bathroom with train tracks on your back. Also I severed lots of people's heads at dance clubs as a result of my HELP bubble.

1 comment: